About Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition
The Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition is an international illustration contest held annually as part of the China Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair (CCBF), with the support of the Shanghai Press and Publication Administration. Since its creation in 2015, the competition has been providing a venue for emerging illustrators to showcase their talent. It aims to build bridges between them and children’s publishers, both domestically and globally. In so doing it has given fresh life to China’s children’s book industry. The Golden Pinwheel is not merely a standalone competition—it is a comprehensive programme which includes exhibitions, an illustration yearbook and a variety of promotional campaigns. It fosters an inspiring and nurturing environment where young illustrators and children's book artists from around the world find a platform to realise their visions.
In order to give recognition to the most talented artists in the competition, the 2019 Golden Pinwheel is offering a wide array of awards: the Golden Pinwheel Grand Award (rewarding the two most outstanding artworks—one from China and one from overseas), the Golden Pinwheel Special Mention, the Publisher's Choice Award (chosen by the Golden Pinwheel publishing partner) and the People's Choice Award.
In addition, one of the aforementioned award-winners will be chosen by the CCBF Organising Committee to design the key visual of the 2020 edition of the book fair. This new image will be an integral part of the fair's visual communication for a whole year, including its use on our website, social media, gifts, and in advertisement campaigns. All 50 finalists are featured in 2019 CCBF Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition Yearbook, which will also be presented at the 2019 Golden Pinwheel Illustration Exhibition held at the book fair from 15 to 17 November.
The 2019 Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition is the result of a more than three-months long global call for submissions. Talented artists from every corner of the planet have poured their enthusiasm into the competition with submissions by 1,999 illustrators from 72 countries and territories.
Eligibility & Requirements
1) To compete, illustrators must be between 16 and 39 years of age (born between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 2003).
2) Regardless of nationality, professional illustrators, art school students, and other amateur illustration enthusiasts can enter the competition free of charge. Entries can be sent by individual artists, schools, associations and other third-party organisations.
1) There are no limits to the entry theme and content provided that is it suitable for children’s book illustration. The competition accepts works executed with manual, digital or mixed techniques.
2) To enter the competition, the participant must submit a series of five pieces of illustrations under the same theme. The participant can submit only one series to the competition every year. The artworks must be accompanied by an explanatory text in English (up to 800 signs) that describes their work and the tools/techniques used for the illustrations.
3) Illustrations submitted in the competition can be published or unpublished. If published, the illustrations must not have been published before 1 January 2017.
4) Illustrations previously submitted to the Golden Pinwheel are not eligible for re-entry.
The only official channel for registration and submission is CCBF’s official website. Please fill in the registration form and submit the electronic version of your work online. All hand-drawn illustrations must be scanned in high-definition.
1) Format: JPG or PNG
2) Size: less than 20MB
3) Resolution: 300 DPI or above
4) For published work, the participant must also provide the ISBN number of the publication in which the illustration was included, the publication date and the name of the publisher.
15 July 2019 23:59, (GMT+8)
Entry submission: 1 Apr - 15 Jul 2019
Finalists selection: 22 Jul 2019 – 31 Aug 2019
Finalists announcement: 12 Sep 2019
Awards announcement: 15 Nov 2019 (opening day of the CCBF)
Golden Pinwheel Grand Award (China): one winner among the finalists from Mainland China
- An invitation to the 2020 Bologna Children’s Book Fair, including economy class air tickets and accommodation fully covered by the event organiser
- Trophy and certificate
Golden Pinwheel Grand Award (International): one winner among the finalists from other countries and territories
- An invitation to the 2020 Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair, with economy class air tickets and accommodation fully covered by the event organiser
- Trophy and certificate
Golden Pinwheel Illustration Special Mention (three recipients)
People’s Choice Award (one winner)
- Elected by CCBF’s visitors, exhibitors, and social media followers
- Trophy and certificate
For inquiries regarding submission, reception, exhibition and awards, please contact: